Sunday, April 22, 2012


Go Green, Be Fit!


Earth Day is a great time to be thinking about how we can reduce our carbon footprints. It is so important to treat our planet with care. Going green is a great epidemic that is sweeping the nation. Not only can we make a difference for the planet but also for our health and fitness!

Walk or Bike- This not only saves on gas, car maintenance, and parking costs but improves your cardiovascular health and reduces your risk of obesity. I do this everyday I go to work if the weather permits. It is a great way to start the workday.




Drink Tap Water- There are plenty of filtration systems out there that the need to buy plastic bottle water has dissolved. I use the PUR water pitcher so I always have cold fresh water on hand. I have a water bottle that I take with me to the gym and on my bike rides. I also keep another reusable bottle at work. There are so many different styles and options of refillable BPA free, earth friendly bottles. Plus, bottled water may actually be less pure than filtered tap water. Most gyms also have water foutains with a bottle refill option. Not to mention it is more cost effective. This one is a no brainer.

Use Reusable Shopping Bags-These are perfect for not only groceries but any shopping including clothes, electronics, and the kid's toys—bring them everywhere. I keep mine under the seat of my car so I always have them on hand. Buy a few so you will never be caught without them. Not to mention, If you are like me it will reduce the clutter of saving all those plastic bags.

Plant a Tree or Garden- Fun for the whole family. This gets you out and moving while beautifying the earth. Trees help with air pollution and water pollution reduction. Having a garden provides healthy foods without all the pesticides and preservatives while teaching your kids about good nutrition.

Eat Smart- Hit up the farmers market. Here is a great website to find a market near you. www.localharvest.org/farmers-markets Local and organic food benefits the environment and your health. In the summer we walk our dog down to the market. There are always lots of people, fun, crafts, activities, live entertainment, and healthy food.

And of course don't forget good old fashioned recycling and cleaning up the environment! Every little step counts from unplugging your toaster to washing clothes with cold water instead of hot.

A great phone app and website I found is Recyclebank. www.recyclebank.com The program rewards people for taking everyday green actions with discounts and deals from local and national businesses. You can win trips and earn points. Save money and save the earth—Win win!

Here is a cool website I found that calculates your footprint. www.earthday.org The results may be shocking. I needed 3-7 earths to support my lifestyle and I consider myself one of the greener people I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment